There are many things you can do to reduce the risk of termites attacking your home. Termites require moisture, food and warmth to live.
Following is a list of things you can be doing around your home to help reduce the risks from termites.
- Remove stored timber and debris.
- Repair leaking taps and pipes.
- Ensure that vents to sub-floor areas are never blocked by soil or gardens.
- Divert all hot water services and air-conditioning overflows away from the side of the house.
- Ensure storm water run-off is properly connected.
- Use only treated timber in garden beds, retaining walls or fence posts.
- Construct timber fences and support posts with at least a 50 mm clearance between the timbers and the soil.
- Don't allow climbing plants or bushy gardens to grow against the structure.
- Remove dead trees or stumps.
- Ensure that termite shielding is not damaged or breached in any way.